There is a learning curve to hookups but lucky for you I’m here to help. Here are 7 tips to keep you safe while you hookup to your hearts content.
1) First and arguably most important. BYOC- Bring your own condoms. If you’re looking to hookup condoms are extremely important and you can’t assume the guy you are meeting will bring them so you have to. Every time.
2) Be Honest and Up Front. Tell him what you actually want. If you are looking to hookup tell them don’t ask if they want to cuddle or watch Netflix or something. Also don’t lead anyone on that’s not fair.
3) Tell a friend where you’re going. Give someone you trust the address of where you are going. That way is something were to happen someone will know where you are so they can help you.
3a) Use a tracking app. I highly recommend this as the official “dad” of my friend group. The idea of these apps sounds stalkerish but just add your most trusted friends so they can see where you are. Personally I use find friends on the iPhone but there are tons of app out there you can try just look in the app store!
4) Meet in Public. This way you can meet your potential hookup in a safe location. This allows you to check for potential red flags before you go home with someone or take them home with you.
5) Build in an excuse to leave. Tell them early on that you have plans later. This gives you either and excuse to leave if things get weird or just to leave when you’re ready.
6) Trust your gut. It’s there for a reason. If something doesn’t seem right it probably isn't.
7) Get tested every 3-6 months.
One last thing before I send you on your way. Remember that you don’t owe anyone anything. Just because you went somewhere to hookup with someone doesn’t mean you are under any obligation to do so.
Have fun and be safe!